Team Associated’s Ryans, Maifield and Cavalieri, topped the third round of qualifying in the 2WD Truck classes at the 27th Proline Cactus Classic with Maifield posting his first TQ run in Mod Truck while Cavalieri, who took both Mod Truck qualifiers yesterday, went fastest in Short Course for the first time. In 4WD Short Course, Team Losi Racing’s Dakotah Phend claimed his first TQ run of the event ahead of Q2 Top Qualifier Ryan Lutz.
A very closely contested heat of Mod Truck, ultimately Maifield’s TQ’d because as ‘didn’t crash’ topping the times by 4-seconds from Neumann who in turn was 1.7 seconds up on Cavalieri. Neumann said his DEST210 was really good but on hearing how close the Top 3 were running together he tried to pushed harder but he ‘pushed a little too much’ resulting a in a crash at the end of the straight. For Cavalieri a rear tyre that started to part company with the wheel in the latter part of the 5-minute qualifier put an end to him making it three TQ runs in a row. The defending champion said his AKA equipped T4.2 felt good but for the final qualifier he will glue his tyres a lot earlier. Notable retirements where Jared Tebo and Mike Truhe, who having set the 2nd & 3rd fastest time in Q2 last night, both broke.
In 2WD Short Course defending Champion Maifield, who set the fastest lap, looked like he might do a double in the first round of qualifying on Day 3 of the famous event at SRS Raceway until what looked like an error. Afterwards the Arizona driver said the moment was in fact due to an ongoing problem he is having with his speedos this weekend. In the end Maifield would finish third for the round.
Having posted the second fastest time in both Short Course qualifiers yesterday, Cavalieri was much happier with his SC10.2. Removing ball set washers from the truck, he said this lowered it and as a result it didn’t roll as much which ‘helped a lot’. Also switching to a black insert in his AKA tyres he said this also gave a better feeling. Behind Cavalieri, Team Durango’s Lutz who topped Q2 set the second fastest time as the only other driver to run 14 laps for the round.
Mod Truck Q3 Top 6
1. Ryan Maifield – Associated/Reedy – 14/5:10.216
2. Joern Neumann – Durango/Speed Passion – 14/5:14.275
3. Ryan Cavalieri – Associatetd/Orion – 14/5:16.060
4. Steven Hartson – Associated/LRP – 14/5:17.552
5. Dustin Evans – TLR/Orion – 14/5:18.133
6. Billy Fischer – TLR/Novak – 14/5:19.030
2WD Short Course Q3 Top 6
1. Ryan Cavalieri – Associatetd/Orion – 14/5:21.746
2. Ryan Lutz – Durango/Tekin – 14/5:22.467
3. Ryan Maifield – Associated/Reedy – 13/5:02.866
4. Dustin Evans – TLR/Orion – 13/5:03.862
5. Matt Castellano – TLR/Orion – 13/5:08.131
6. Cody Turner – Kyosho/Orion – 13/5:08.490